I was stuck in one of the boring session at office… My manager had asked me to attend it!! It’s like a torture to me whenever I am asked to attend such sessions… The very next minute my minds starts ticking faster to find the ways to escape.. But since I dint have much work today, I couldn’t get rid of it :( It was in the noon from 2.30pm-4pm. I made my mind and entered the training room in time.. Slowly crouched to one of the corner seat and sat calmly.. I was almost falling off from my seat in the mid of the session.. To stay awake I had to divert my mind, and I just did that :) I started noticing the way the facilitator was pronouncing few sentences. It sounded as though he did a direct translation from his mother tongue..
Here in Bangalore, we can find people from all the cities of India… So, most of them speak in different accent…
Here goes the local version of the good old English..

We can also cummmaa? [Can we also come? ]

Project ka document is complete. [Project’s document is complete.]

Is it aaaa? [Is it so? ]

I also going late only to home.. [Even I am going late to home.. ]

They simply giving files.. [They are simply giving files. ]

Waat time is meeting?[What time is the meeting? ]

Afterwards solution not coming means? don’t tell me.. [If we don’t get the solution later, then don’t blame me.. ]

We will do it no, now only...[Lets do it now.. ]

I am there no.. (Sounds like- Mein hoo naa)

I am writing the code no..[I am writing the code right.. ]

Chumma do what I say..[Simply obey my words.. ]

Ayyo!! Not like that, I said.. [I dint mean it.. ]

Ayyayyo!! I left my Tiffin box in car only and came off..[I left my Tiffin box in car and came. ]

What are u doing I say?[What are u doing? ]

Now, listen to what I say, I say..[Now, listen to whatever I say.. ]

Waat folder you created? [Which folder did you create?]

Elabratedd[Elaborated]

[Postponded ] Postpone

Pickuping[Picking up ]

Stuckkedd[Stuck ]

Mixudu[Mixed ]

Forgetted [Forgot]

Anti[Aunty ]

Ungle[Uncle ]

Falder[Folder]

Wouner [Owner]

Hyandal [Handle]

6 comments:

Suresh Kumar said...

Cool English :)

Liked this one **Afterwards solution not coming means? don’t tell me.. **

We used to tease some english speaking girls in our school days like this, "Hi Yaa... Go Yaa.... Come Yaa... Water Bag KaliYaa..." (well the last Yaa is actually kannada...)

Sunitha said...

hey,

good observation.....i guess really a better way to keep our self awake in boring sessions

swati said...

hmmm..."Mixudu"..awesome...

lovely..to read..I remember characters around me saying all these..from "Ragesh"..to ..."Shift" ;)

Prathima Bhat said...

@Suresh Kumar: Perhaps, this how we got "Kanglish", "Hinglish" etc.. !! :)

@Sunitha: Yes, this works :)

@Swati: :) Ya, the person whom ur referring to, actually spells my name as "Pradima" and ur name as "Swadi" :)

Niveditha Shekar said...

Lovely!
Extremely hilarious.

Let me share something with you. When I was working, my job required me to be a good listener and then a good writer.
I was never a good listener before but I must say when I began to listen, I had fun listening to people talk.
Different accents and usually there is a touch of the native language while speaking English.
Popularly called as Kanglish, Tanglish or Hinglish.(Many to add...)
Not just others if we are a little observant, we understand that even we include a few literal native language to English conversion.
For example,
Wrong: I had head bath today.
This is literal translation.What's this head bath? Sounds funny.
Correct: I had a hair wash.

We find it easier to understand when we learn it by translating it or deriving meaning from our native language. This definitely helps but on the other hand it creates such problems as above.

One more importand task is to correct people who ever is making such mistakes.(ofcourse not at such lectures or not even your boss) You might be insulted for doing so but in a long run it definitely helps them and also u.
How does it help u? Yes, if you go on listening to these wrong sentences everyday you might unconciously start using them as well.
So, to help yourself..correct the person who is wrong.
Good post again.

Rashmi said...

Good Article. I enjoyed "Ayyayyo!! I left my Tiffin box in car only and came off.."

Post a Comment