Its 10.32 am here at office on a Tuesday morning… The busy hours when we get to hear only tic-tic of the mouse and the tapping of key board…. Amidst of this today I heard a religious song playing in the background… I was wondering who it could be… Out of curiosity, I walked to the next cubicle..
I saw a guy playing all religious songs in his mobile with the lowest audible tone… I knew that he loved listening to Kannada and Tamil songs (not religious though…).. Once again out of curiosity I asked him, “wassup with u?? Listening to religious songs today…instead of those tangy dance numbers”…… and the reply he gave me stunned me for a while… He said, “mom went to purohith yesterday….and it seems I have got shani dasha in my horoscope… so to reduce the shani effect, I decided to listen to these songs”… I smiled and came back to my cubicle after hearing the genuine prompt reply….

Haahh!! Can anyone explain me, how on earth the bad luck would shoo off if we listen to music of Lord Shiva…which is sung by the man whose voice resembles to a man who has been strangled to death and is weeping yet singing “brahma muraari suraarchita lingam….”

Then I realized that its not only him who is god fearing or rather horoscope-fearing guy around … There is another devotee in the other side ODC who has decorated his work space with photo frame of a deity… (I still haven’t recognized which deity it is), sai baba’s pic stuck on his name plate… A flower offered to lord ganesha’s idol next to his pen stand… Radha Krishna’s photo as his desktop wallpaper!! & finally a small pic of goddess laxmi affixed on his writing board!!!! Devotion in extremes… :)
Am not supposed to mention his name, but frankly telling his first and middle names are also of deities…. :) When I first entered his cubicle for a project related discussion, I felt as though I need to remove my sandals and enter coz it looked to me more like a temple…. The only reason given by him for keeping so many pics and idols was “Google cannot answer all our questions right?? So…”.. Hmmm.. witty answer :)

Another strange behavior people have got while traveling is touch the forehead and heart simultaneously / softly slap the cheeks on either side thrice / remove their sandals and fold their hands for 2 seconds - all these once they see a temple…strange!! This is seen very commonly in Bangalore…no matter they pray at home or not.. Devotion comes automatically on road :)

I seriously don’t understand whether people are trying to impress god by doing all such activities or giving themselves a little time… Prayer should not be an attempt to change God’s mind….it should be an attempt to let God change our mind…


PS- Devotees…plz don’t mind on the comments abt the pics and idols..

6 comments:

Suresh Kumar said...

Hmm... Well we have a lot of people who fear God but very less who love God....

Hmm... Shani dosha... even i was told to do some things.. But I caught hold of a book called The Greatness of Saturn by Robert E Svoboda... He has put it beautifully and explained it as a living wisdom...
Instead of doing homas and listening to songs, I believe its always better to get a better understanding behind the concept.

**Prayer should not be an attempt to change God’s mind….it should be an attempt to let God change our mind…**
thats correctly put... but more of the time prayer is accompanied by a shopping list of wishes or a charge sheet of complaints.

Anonymous said...

there should always be 'someone' to whom we surrender, fear and give us hope so that v ll b on track till v reach our natural end.. some call that 'someone' as God. -siD

Priya Joyce said...

oh yes...
I also think prayer ain't just requesting him or asking him..it's about thanking him as well as being in his presence too..
..

Anil said...

Its not that if you listen to those songs you god will give you everything. All these should be told by ourselves with a lot of devotion otherwise doing something and listening to something even god will not come to the rescue because none other than god knows human better. So we cant try to cheat god. God wants devotees not enemies who are always scared of.

Krishna said...

he is always in prayer's...his laptap screen saver..his system screen saver in office..
his mobile screen saver...and in his wallot 3 to 4 pics of diffrent gods...
while parking and taking the bike from parking he will chant something....
while entering into home at the entrace he will chant some thing.. again inside the home...
while giving money to some one(with right hand)..he will touch that money to his eyes.....
while eating...for every 30 sec to 1 min...he will chant something...

in theaters.. if some temple is shown on screen...then immediately he will remove his chappal's...


His name is Cheeku (Srikanth)...My friend and college mate...

Now tell me... do you think he is a devotee or god fearing?

i dont think so..

Unknown said...

@Krishna : I feel he is god fearing...

Post a Comment